January, time for New Year’s Resolutions, or not, as the case may be. I’m not a fan, but I do like setting out a list of things to aim for during the year. There’s no major challenge on this list, there’s no great announcement of something I am going to achieve this year.
Whilst my daily meditation practice may have gone by the way side, what I have learned to do more of during 2018 is to stay focussed on today and not to stress so much over what might happen in 6 months time. So here are my 19 for 2019.
- Write a daily gratitude journal – according to numerous sources writing a daily gratitude can boost your mood, improve your mental health and your relationships. There’s an app for this – and 3 days in I am going strong!
- Complete a 30 day fitness challenge. I’ve signed up to complete RED January 2019 which is in aid of Mind and basically requires me to complete some form of activity every day in January! Although I do also fancy the idea of a 30 day yoga challenge!
- Buy one lovely thing per month – I failed on this last year, but I’d really like to reduce the impulse purchases in my life and instead search for special items I want to keep.
- Read one fiction book a month – I have a friend who works in a library and has recommended copious amounts of books on Goodreads. I’ve signed up for the 2019 reading challenge and book 1 is under way!
- Finish Part 2 of the crochet diploma. I’m well over half way and if I get my finger out I’m sure I can get this completed this year!
- Achieve purple status. This is related to my new Younique business. I am aiming high! There no point in aiming low! This terrifies me and I know I will have to work hard at overcoming confidence issues to get anywhere close!
- Go on a yoga retreat. I’d like to go a step further with my yoga this year beyond just a regular practice.
- Volunteer – I’ve applied to volunteer at the local hospital and also at a winter homeless shelter. It’s something I’ve wanted to do for a long time now.
- Ride a horse – and why not?
- Take a picture of the Northern lights.
- Try paddle boarding – and it’s back! No excuses beyond being a wuss! It’s not as if there aren’t opportunities to try within my locale!
- Walk 1650 miles – I walked 1500 this year just going about my everyday business. This adds a challenge!
- Take a different bus route every month – we’re in the process of selling our car and relying solely on public transport. This is a great opportunity to see where we can get to by bus!
- Buy a Louis Vuitton handbag! A girl can always dream!
- See the positive / ignore the negative – this is a habit change for me. I am very much affected by negativity. I spot only the negative comments that people make and ignore the positive. I’d just like to change this and not let other people affect me so much
- Walk a dog. I just need to find a dog to walk and I’ll be way with this one!!
- Complete the Happiness Project Experience – this links with #15. It’s another of Gretchen Rubin’s projects. It lasts for the whole year and hopefully will help me build habits that enable me to see the positive.
- Write 2 blog posts a month – there’s no reason not to – other than I am lazy!
- Master Instagram. How hard can it be?!
I’m very much looking forward to getting started! Here’s to a brilliant year, full of positivity and happiness!